Kenney History

Our Company History

Kenney Machinery Company was created before the turn of the 20th century. The first certificate of corporation was received on March 21, 1906.  Edward T. Kenney was elected president.

The 1st annual catalog illustrating products sold to the farming industry was published in 1907. The company was located at 124-128 Capital Avenue South, in Indianapolis.  Legend has it that the company sold the first rubber tired buggy in the state of Indiana.

Edward died in 1918 and was succeeded by his son, James H. Kenney, who was a sophomore at Purdue University. James and Katherine (James’s sister) operated the business through the 1920’s, 30’s and 40’s.1920 Toro Greens

The company began selling estate and golf course equipment and supplies in the early 1930’s, along with farm machinery and orchard sprayers. It was during this period that they moved to 301 West Maryland Street (the present site of the Indianapolis Convention Center).

In 1946 the company expanded its agricultural sales efforts into Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa. During the 1950’s the company expanded its product offerings and became a leading supplier of golf and turf equipment and irrigation products.

1950 Toro MowerIn 1961, after college, James E. Kenney joined the company as a sales representative.  In 1962, for the first time, the company’s sales reached $1.0 million. James H. Kenney died in 1965 and young Jim became president. The company decided to concentrate on selling lawn and golf equipment. Farm equipment manufacturers were selling direct to dealers, prompting this change in the company’s focus.

Company sales were growing at a rapid pace, from $2 million in 1973 to $7 million in 1979. Toro recognized the company as the #1 Turf equipment distributor.

In February of 1990, James Michael Kenney (Mike), joined the company as Manager of the Irrigation supply business. Mike is the son of James E. Kenney.  December 15th, 1997 marked another milestone in the company history, as Mike Kenney was promoted to President and Chief Operating Officer, succeeding Jim Kenney.  Mike became the 4th generation of Kenney’s to serve as President.

By 2008 the Company began to focus on expanding the landscape irrigation supply business now operating as “Kenney Outdoor Solutions”.

Kenney Outdoor Solutions quickly became a regional player in the supply of Irrigation and Landscape related products such as Lighting, water features and drainage materials. In 2008 Kenney expanded into the Chicago and St. Louis markets. In 2009 a location was opened in the Detroit area and in 2010 Lenexa, Kansas.   With the acquisition of Automatic Supply Michigan in 2010 Kenney Outdoor Solutions is now operating in 8 point of sale locations.

ZMaster MowerToday Kenney Corporation continues the tradition of service to the Green Industry as the Toro Distributor for turf equipment and the leading supplier of landscape and irrigation materials to Landscape and Irrigation contractors.